Lily's CT on Friday went well. Thanks for all the prayers. I'm glad it's finally over. I wasn't sure if she was going to actually go to sleep this time. We tried to get the scan back in January with a rectal sedative and she wouldn't go to and stay asleep so it had to be rescheduled. This time they started off with the smallest dosage and kept increasing it until they gave her all they could give her for her weight. She just kept fighting sleep. She would close her eyes and then open them and stare at all of us. She finally went to sleep and we got the scan. I hated watching them strap her down and stick a needle in her foot for the I.V. After the scan, she woke up just fine and all that's left to remind us of the whole thing is a little bruise on her tiny little foot.
Dr. Kang, her surgeon, called tonight to tell us everything looks normal on the scan. No problems. The CI team reviewed Lily last Thursday and decided she is a great candidate to receive a cochlear implant. So now we're submitting paperwork to the insurance company in the morning. No one was in the ENT clinic on Friday, Dr. Kang isn't in the office on Mondays, and he's in surgery all day on Tuesdays, so tomorrow is the first he'll have the chance to sign the paperwork. Hopefully it will be faxed to our insurance company tomorrow morning. Please keep your fingers crossed for an approval for bilateral implants under 12 months. The CI team isn't very hopeful. They told us that insurance companies are denying surgery under 12 months more and more. If insurance approves it, Lily will be having simultaneous bilateral cochlear implant surgery this summer. However, if we're denied, we've decided to get one implant in July with money from BCMH and one implant in November (Lily's first birthday) with money from insurance. Dr. Kang said there won't be a problem with BCMH paying for one and insurance paying for the other. He told us that if for some reason insurance gives us a problem with the second implant, BCMH will pay for it. So she will get two implants regardless.
We really wanted for Lily to only have to have one surgery, but we also want her to hear as soon as possible. As of right now, we are scheduled for surgery on one ear July 1. At that time, Lily will be one week away from 8 months old. Those of you who have already been through this know how stressed and excited I am all at the same time. Please pray that the insurance will approve both ears under 12 months. I'll update again when I have an answer.